Gum contouring is a cosmetic dental procedure to reshape and contour gums that are uneven through the use of diode laser. This type of laser is a solid-state diode laser that uses micro-fiber that cuts through the soft tissue to reshape gums to its desired shape.
Gum contouring is necessary for patients who have uneven or cover too much of their teeth which results to what is commonly known as “gummy smile”. This procedure is also appropriate for patients whose gums are too high of the teeth or gums have receded, exposing tooth surface unnecessarily. Here are indications as to why a patient needs gum contouring:
- Excessive gum shows when smiling
- Gums cover the teeth too much, making teeth small and short
- Uneven shaped gums, covering teeth with uneven levels
Advantages of Gum Contouring
- Only minor surgery is needed with small incision and stitches using local anesthesia.
- No major bruising on the gums and swelling goes away quickly, and heals within seven days
- Patient can go back to normal activity after surgery
- Contoured gum’s shape stays permanent. It will not grow back again.
- Definitely improves appearance, self-esteem and confidence for having a beautiful smile